I love my job. I absolutely love it. I am an IT tech at a global corporation. I am the 3rd shift tech so I get the building to myself. It’s a new position for me and at first I was scared to work at night by myself but I have grown to love it! I don’t have to interact with anyone. I can do my work uninterrupted. I can listen to music as loudly as I want to. I can watch movies in the background as I work. It is so ideal.
The best part is I can finally start to look how I want to
look. I was a hardcore Goth years back;
dripping in black velvet, lace and leather and a few lbs. of makeup every
single day. I moved to the Midwest and
toned it down. I still dyed my hair with
streaks of color, wore all black and heavy eyeliner, though. But it was a watered down version of who I
really was. As the years went by and I
had children who took up my time and finances, I completely lost who I was.
That is the main focus of this blog. I am documenting my transition back to who I
was. I am finding a balance between what
I have to do as a professional, mother and wife and what I want to do. This position will allow me to do that.
Today, I am wearing a Tool hoodie, black babydoll shirt over
a grey lace cami, jeans with metal spikes on the back and my Chucks. I could never look like this on any other
shift. I used to wear dress slacks, blouses
and heels every day. But now, I am
comfortable.
Besides the obvious freedom, I have increased responsibilities. I have been climbing my way up from a temp on a 2
week assignment to a full time salaried employee with incredible benefits,
perks (iPhone, laptop, expense account) in barely over a year. My bosses have faith in me and they trust
me. I have never loved any past job as
much as I love this one. I enjoy my
work. I take pride in what I do. I am a hard worker and it has finally paid
off. My work is fulfilling and
challenging. So yes, I love what I do.
All alone at the graveyard shift watching movies?! That sounds like my cup of tea!
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome. I haven't worked up the nerve to bring in any horror flicks though. I'm too chicken
DeleteGood for you for working your way up from temp to full time employee! I commend your work ethic!! :o)
ReplyDelete:D thank you! I am quite proud of myself
DeleteSounds great! Thanks for sharing your status report.
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriend also works in IT and I'm jealous that he can wear whatever he likes! Your job sounds fascinating... ;)
ReplyDelete:D I love it. I'm working on learning web design next.
DeleteI envy you the solitude of your job!!! I deal with dozens of users as a webmaster and it's so tough dealing with some people's attitudes, politics and pettiness. So good to read about someone really enjoying their job!
ReplyDeletelol I was just telling another tech I do NOT miss the politics on day shift one bit.
Delete