Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Goth Challenge #2 - 5 movies for Goths




Hmmm…  I love movies.  But as for what movies Goths should watch, I am not sure.  I prefer chick flicks, scary movies and comedies, myself.  I am going to approach this with the intention of suggesting movies that influence or inspire Goths.  



 
There are tons that come to mind.  Just this evening, I was watching Repo the Genetic Opera with my oldest son.  He loves that movie.  He knows more about it than I do.  My oldest is very interested in his namesake, Nivek Oghr (my son’s name is Nivek, not Oghr lol).  
Pavi, Nivek's character














Repo is a dark, futuristic musical with all the good stuff; gore, greed, wrath, envy.  The costuming is brilliant and inspiring.  I have wanted to dress up as Blind Mag for years but I am too scared of putting contacts in my eyes.  As you can see, contacts are the main focus of the character.


Blind Mag


I like to think of myself as a vampire aficionado.  Although, I have never seen nor will I ever see Twilight.  I do recommend a few of the best vampire flicks for this list.

Lost Boys was the first vampire movie I ever saw.  It showed me a carefree world I wanted to live in.  Where you belonged and you shared a bond like no other with beings just like you.  I lived in the south Bronx at the time and I did not have the nerve to express myself the way I really wanted to.  But soon after watching this, I found others like me and I began to explore the Goth community in NYC.


 














 Interview with the Vampire is definitely on the list.  I loved the books and I was extremely excited to see this one.  I was a little hesitant when I heard the main characters were Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, but they did a great job.  The Victorian dresses and romance of the era influenced me greatly.  I was playing V:tM at the time so I was caught up in another world almost nightly as it was.  I began to wear more flowy pieces in my outfits like capes and sheer ruffled tops and different makeup involving white foundation and red lips.    






















 The Underworld franchise has been another more recent influence.  I saw the latest, Awakening, last year.  I liked how there is an explanation of the history of vampires.  I also like how there was a hierarchy and need for order among the vampires.  It’s much like V:tM.  It is dark and the fashion is much more my taste.  Simplistic designs, black on black. 


















 As a nod to Steampunk, I have to add Sucker Punch.  Steampunk is my latest obsession.  It’s romantic, techy and fantasy all in one.  The fashion is gritty and bad ass.  The story is beautiful and heart wrenching.  Any girl who has been through abuse of any kind can relate to just wanting to escape into her own head and say f*** the world.


 





























Those are my top picks.  I think you will enjoy them as much as I have. 

3 comments:

  1. sucker punch is a good choice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to re-watch it so badly. I don't know why I haven't bought it yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Lost Boys and Underworld! Gotta check out this Repo thing.

    ReplyDelete